Huskies in a Drift | Recipe
In 1966, the Laura Secord company published their Canadian Cook Book that featured a familiar recipe called Huskies in a Drift. We recommend checking out this Canadian food tome!
Better known as “Toad in the Hole” the Secord recipe is a riff on the traditional English dish consisting of sausage baked in Yorkshire pudding batter and usually served with onion gravy and vegetables. Here is our simple and easy weeknight recipe for Huskies in a Drift:
- 4 large pork sausages
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup of milk
- A pinch of salt
- 1 cup of flour
- 1 cup vegetable oil (lard or beef drippings can also be used)
- Preheat oven to 450
- Partially cook 4 large sausages in a frying pan for 10 minutes on medium heat and set aside
- Whisk together 2 large eggs, 1 cup of milk and a pinch of salt
- Then add 1 cup of flour and whisk until fully blended, allow to cool and rest 20 mins
- Pour vegetable oil (or lard) into large foil pan (we used an 8 x 8)
- Add sausages to the foil pan and place in the preheated oven on the middle rack
- Give it 3-4 mins for the fat to get hot and then pour the batter in for 25-30 mins and voila!
Accompany with cooked veg and gravy.
Thanks Nana T!